A healthy uterus is crutial for fertility.
Chinese medicine views cold as damaging to the uterus and considers it one of the causes of fertility issues.
Fluids, including blood, circulate more easily when warm and research has shown that an improved blood flow to the uterus is associated with better pregnancy outcomes. Cold, however, could weaken the uterus by decreasing its blood supply. Indeed, cold will cause blood flow to slow down, and Chinese medicine associates “Cold” with a number of pathologies including painful periods, clots in menstrual blood, uterine fibroids, and endometriosis, all of these conditions that happen to be linked with decreased fertility.
Symptoms of a “cold uterus” can include:
- Painful periods
- Periods with dark red blood and small clots
- Cold hands and feet
- Lower back pain
What causes a “cold uterus”?
Consuming cold foods and iced cold drinks cause the body to cool down, which slows blood flow and contributes to “cold in the uterus”. This is especially true during the winter months.
How do you warm a cold uterus to improve fertility and promote a healthy uterus?
- Consume warm food and beverages
- Drink warm beverages such as ginger tea or hot water with lemon
- Eat warm foods – soups and stews
- Keep cold and raw foods to a minimum
- Avoid iced beverages
- Keep your feet warm! In Chinese medicine, we say that cold can travel up from the feet (to the abdomen and iterus)
- Wear warm socks and shoes in the winter
- Wear slippers at home, especially if like many people on the Costa del Sol you have marble floors
- Wear socks to bed (if need be!)
- Take warm foot baths
- Use a heating pads or hot water bottle on your lower abdomen anytime there is pain (think painful period too!) or you feel cold
- Get regular acupuncture
- Take Chinese herbs, if prescribed by a trained practitioner
If you live in Marbella area, and have questions on fertility and how a healthy uterus can improve your fertility, we can answer your questions and help you get scheduled for your first appointment!
For more infos about acupuncture and fertility you can also follow me on Facebook or Instagram.